What to do if you get hurt on the job in Arkansas

Slipped on a wet floor at work and broke your ankle? You have rights in these situations which are designed to protect you, but if you don't know how to exercise them, they won't be of much use.

Should you get hurt on the job in Arkansas, be sure to do the following:

1) Report the incident immediately

When you get hurt on the job in Arkansas, it is your responsibility under the law to notify your employer immediately.

Delaying the implementation of this step allows for plausible deniability on the part of the employer should several days pass between the incident and when you disclose it to Human Resources.

Describe what happened and what part of your body was injured right after the event occurs, as this will not only protect your claim, but this action will also launch an investigation into what happened, protecting the safety of your fellow co-workers.

2) Contact a personal injury lawyer

In a perfect world, you would be able to report your injury to HR, they would forward your claim to worker's comp, who would then take care of your needs until you are fully ready to return to work.

Unfortunately, that is not the dimension we exist in, as employers will attempt to get you back to work as quickly as possible, and the WCB will do everything they can to deny you benefits.

To protect yourself against these abuses, hire the best personal injury lawyer Little Rock has to offer, and their expert counsel will ensure you receive the benefits to which you are entitled.

Additionally, they'll be able to sue these actors for damages if they fail to live up to their obligations, so don't skimp on legal representation when it comes to your health.

3) Complete all forms and go to appointments

If all goes well, a doctor will be appointed who will guide you through the rehabilitation process. When appointments are made for this purpose, you are legally responsible for showing up at them.

Further, when you receive documents from worker's compensation, fill them out and submit them as soon as possible.

Keep copies of these documents in a safe place in case there is any dispute over missing forms. When you are instructed to return to work by your doctor, you are compelled by law to do just that, so comply with the order.

However, if you feel you are being pushed back to your job prematurely, inform your lawyer immediately.

4) Switch doctors if you aren't satisfied with the first one

If you feel that the doctor you have been assigned is not addressing your needs adequately, or if they are trying to return you to the workforce before you are ready, you have the right to request a replacement.

To do this, you will need to contact your claims handler or the insurance company operating on behalf of worker's comp to approve another doctor for your case.

If this effort is not met with success, you are entitled to contact the worker's compensation board directly for assistance.