Lawyer Directory
Home | Lawyer Directory | Legal Articles | Legal Forms | Forums | Submit Listing | Contact Us | New Site
 Main Menu
Lawyer DirectoryHome
Find a LawyerFind Lawyers by State
Search AttorneysFind Attorneys by Profession
Bankruptcy LawBankruptcy Law
Criminal LawCriminal Law
Employment LawEmployment Law
Family LawFamily Law
Bankruptcy LawImmigration Law
Criminal LawPersonal Injury
Submit Legal ListingSubmit Lawyer Listing
Find an AttorneyLegal Articles
legal helpLegal Cases
free legal AdviceLegal Advice
Free Legal FormsFree Legal Forms
Advanced Lawyer SearchLegal Information
Legal News FeedsLegal News
FAQs for Legal AdviceFAQs: Legal Advice
Find an AttorneyLawyer Listings

 Mailing List
Enter your Email address to receive frequent updates.

 Legal Resources
Finding a LawyerFinding the Right Lawyer
Lawyer Fee and CostLawyer Fee and Costs
Lawyer DictionaryLaw Dictionary
Legal AreasLegal Areas
Legal TipsLegal Tips
Legal NewsLegal News Resources
Legal SoftwareLegal Software
Law Books and PublicationsLaw Book Stores
Criminal RecordsCriminal Records
Background ChecksBackground Checks
Legal PublicationsLegal Publications
State Codes and StatutesState Codes and Statutes
Attorney EmploymentAttorney Employment
US State Bar AssociationsUS State Bar Associations
Legal Website DesignWebsite Design
Legal Website HostingWebsite Hosting
Legal Website PromotionWebsite Promotion
Lawyer JokesLawyer Jokes

Acquiring a Visa for a Domestic Helper

Date : 8/9/2016  
Name :  Admin 
State :  CA 
URL : 
Category :  Immigration Law 
Print Friendly VersionPrinter Friendly Version

Acquiring a Visa for a Domestic Helper

People travelling to the U.S. often require some kind of domestic help such as a nanny, maid, or housekeeper to travel with them. Such individuals need to petition for a B-1 visa while travelling. B-1 visas fall under temporary visas, and are available for people who do not plan to stay permanently in the United States. These visas may be issued to travelers, students and workers who just want to stay in the U.S. for a specific period of time.

Unlike temporary visas, the other primary category of visas which individuals can apply for is permanent visas. These visas are intended for individuals who want to become legal permanent residents and plan to reside in the United States continuously. They may be able to apply for a permanent visa because of marriage or a family-based Visa petition. In other cases, the individual may plan to move to the United States for permanent employment.

Who is eligible for a B-1 Visa?

In order to be eligible for a B-1 Visa, the individual must be engaged in some sort of business activities. It could be traveling for a professional convention, negotiating a contract, participating in job training, consulting with business colleagues, travelling with certain individuals, or even working as air crewman. The individual requesting the visa will have to show that they intend to travel for business reasons and that they plan to stay in the country for a specific time only. They also need to provide proof of sufficient funds in order to stay in the United States.

Apart from proof of travel and funds, the individual also has to show that they have a residence in their home country. Other ties with the area need to be show as well in order to ensure that they plan to return to their home country. The individual must also be able to show that they have at least one year of experience as a domestic servant and that they have been employed with their particular employer since the last one year at least. Moreover, the employer who intends to take the domestic servant along has to show that they have regularly employed a domestic servant while traveling abroad in the same capacity as clearance is being requested for in this case.

How to apply for a B-1 Visa?

A number of documents have to be provided by individuals applying for a B-1 Visa in order to prove their admissibility. The various information they need to submit include their passport along with their visa application, passport photos and processing fee. Additional information may also be required in order to show that they are eligible for the B-1 Visa. They must provide purpose of the trip, their intent to depart after the trip is complete, and show proof of funds. They may also include evidence of employment as well as any family ties. The individual may also be required to submit to electronic fingerprint scans.

In some cases, individuals may be required to file Form I-539 to change another immigration status to B-1 status. The domestic servant must also receive employment authorization before they can begin working in the United States. The individual or employer hiring the domestic servant will have to provide evidence showing that the domestic helper will be paid the market rate and that the domestic servant is provided with a W-2 form so he or she can file income taxes. An immigration attorney may be able to help and guide individuals interested in traveling to the United States with a domestic servant.

Tweet this Tweet this       Print Friendly VersionPrinter Friendly Version     

The legal information in this website is of general nature only and should not be regarded as formal legal or financial advice. makes no representation, guarantee, or warranty (express or implied) as to the legal ability, competence, or quality of representation made by any lawyer, nor shall it have any  liability nor responsibility for the results or consequences of any legal representation provided by any of the attorneys or law firms listed in this web site.

Any electronic communication sent to any of the attorneys or law firms listed herein, by itself, will not create an attorney-client relationship.
Users Online:  0 

Member Login

Remember me
Home  |  Articles  |  Submit Article  |  Lawyer Search  |  Free Consultation  |  Sponsored Lawyers  |  Payment
Terms & Conditions  | Disclaimer |  Privacy   |  Submit Listing Link Removal  |  Lawyer Advertising  |  Site Map
Legal Blog  | Contact Us