Lawyer Directory
Home | Lawyer Directory | Legal Articles | Legal Forms | Forums | Submit Listing | Contact Us
Forum Home Forum Home > Legal Help and Advice > Accident and Injury Law
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Low Policy Limits

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
monomoco View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote monomoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Low Policy Limits
    Posted: 12 Jul 2017 at 2:08pm
I was struck by a car while I was on foot and the driver was completely at fault. I got a lawyer and, after seven months of appointments and treatments, have learned that the accident caused me permanent injury, namely damaged discs in my neck. I've tried all sorts of treatments but nothing helps and this injury has greatly reduced my quality of life.

Yesterday my lawyer sent me a draft of his demand letter which read that they want around $250,000 or policy limits, which he told me is only $25,000. The letter also shows that my medical bills alone cost around $26,000. I've lost $6,000 in wages from this accident and the lawyer will take a third, so assuming we get the maximum from the driver's policy, after recouping my pay losses and paying the lawyers there will be $10,500 left to pay the doctors and to pay me for my pain and suffering and life-long debilitation.

Of course this alarmed me. I know lawyers will negotiate medical bills with the providers, but they would have to negotiate off $15,000 just for me to break even and be paid nothing for my time and injury. Over the course of seven months the lawyer kept pushing me to get the most expensive treatments and to see as many doctors as possible for as long as I could, even when I told him I didn't think it was helping. Now I realize that upping the medical bills as much as possible maximizes his payout at the expense of mine. I feel like he totally used me.

What should I do? The lawyer also told me that suing the driver himself would be a bad move as it would add tens of thousands in litigation and the driver, who is in his early 20's and likely has no money, would probably just declare bankruptcy and leave me without even the pay I  lost. I don't drive so I have no insurance of my own and I can't imagine anyone besides the driver could be held responsible.  Has anyone had a similar experience?

Edited by monomoco - 12 Jul 2017 at 2:27pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic